This Tim Hortons Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe is easy to make! They're soft, moist, and incredibly delicious. Find out how to whip up these copycat muffins in your own kitchen!
🍫 What are Tim Hortons Chocolate Chip Muffins?
They are classic bakery-style chocolate chip muffins. They're soft, moist, and fluffy, packed with chocolate chips, and topped with a perfect muffin crown.
The secret to these muffins is all in the ingredients and technique. This recipe is the perfect copycat.
Why this recipe works
- A high initial temperature - Starting with a high initial temperature causes the muffin's air bubbles to expand rapidly, resulting in a more substantial rise.
- Baking powder + baking soda - Combining these two ingredients provides extra lift, creating a puffy, dome shape.
- Butter - The use of butter makes the muffins moist and rich.
- All-purpose flour: Adds structure to the muffins. You can use whole-wheat if you want to add more nutrients.
- Baking powder + Baking Soda: Using this combination gives our muffins a bigger rise in the oven.
- Salt: Just a little bit helps elevate all the other flavors.
- Butter: The butter must be melted and cooled slightly to not cook the eggs.
- Sugar: One cup might seem like a lot, but it's standard for baked goods.
- Eggs: Helps bind the ingredients and provide structure.
- Buttermilk: Adds moisture and tanginess.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- You can replace all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour.
- You can swap buttermilk with any milk, even non-dairy options like almond or oat. Mix it with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to make 1 cup.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray, or use paper liners.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set this mixture aside.
STEP 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Gently fold until they are JUST combined.
STEP 4: Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Feel free to sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top.
STEP 5: Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 12-15 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying them while still warm.
💭 Top Tips
- When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix them only until they're JUST combined. Overmixing will make the muffins tougher and denser.
- To ensure they're not overbaked, start checking for doneness at the 12-minute mark. If the toothpick doesn't come out clean, bake for another minute and recheck.
🥡 Storage & Leftovers
Storing: Store muffins in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Or, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Let them cool completely before freezing. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap, or place in a freezer bag. They stay fresh for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them at room temperature or reheat them in the microwave or oven.
Tim Hortons Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt (use half the amount if you're using table salt)
- ½ cup butter (unsalted, melted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes for substitutions)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set this mixture aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Gently fold until they are JUST combined.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 12-15 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying them while they're still warm.