This classic Eggy Bread Recipe is easy to make with only five ingredients. It's the perfect way to start the weekend!
Looking for more simple breakfast recipes? Try my Creamed Peas on Toast next!
🥞 What is Eggy Bread?
In the United Kingdom, they call French Toast "eggy bread." It's made by soaking bread slices in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk, then frying them until golden brown.
Unlike American French Toast, eggy bread isn't sweet. The UK version is just plain eggs and milk, no sugar. American French Toast also has spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, which the UK version does not have.
🍞 What Bread To Use?
For the best eggy bread, use thick slices of French or Italian loaf bread that are a few days old. Older bread is firmer, making the eggs cling to it better. It also has less moisture, which means there's more space for all the delicious eggs to soak in.
- Bread: French or Italian loaf bread works best, but feel free to use others like regular white bread or sourdough.
- Eggs: We'll be using two eggs for this recipe.
- Milk: Any kind of milk you’d like! Non-dairy alternatives work great.
- Salt: To enhance all the flavors.
- Oil: Use any neutral-flavored oil like vegetable, canola, or avocado. Butter works, too, but I find it doesn't crisp up as much due to its higher water content.
The sky's the limit with these! Feel free to:
- Add garlic: Feel free to add a minced garlic clove to the egg mixture to make it garlicky.
- Add herbs: Add a tablespoon of fresh herbs, any combination of thyme, oregano, parsley, cilantro, or chives.
- Make it cheesy: Add a spoonful of shredded parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella.
STEP 1: Add eggs, milk, and salt to a shallow dish and whisk well to combine.
STEP 2: Dip bread slices into the egg mixture, dredging them well on both sides.
STEP 3: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake off the excess egg mixture from the bread slices and place them in the hot skillet.
STEP 4: Cook for a few minutes until the bottoms of the bread start to get golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. Enjoy your breakfast!
🥡 Make Ahead & Freezing
Make Ahead: You can make the egg mixture 1-2 days before, depending on how fresh your ingredients are.
Freezing: Allow the bread to cool completely before storing it in freezer-friendly bags or containers for up to 3 months. Reheat it on a skillet, in the toaster, or for a few seconds in the microwave.
🍽 Looking for more recipes?
10-Minute Eggy Bread
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 6 thick slices bread (see notes)
- oil or butter (for pan-frying)
- Add eggs, milk, and salt to a shallow dish and whisk well to combine.
- Dip bread slices into the egg mixture, dredging them well on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake off the excess egg mixture from the bread slices and place them in the hot skillet.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the bottom of the breads starts to get golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.