Chinese Black Bean Soup is a nourishing and delicious soup. Growing up, my parents made this soup to stay warm in the winter. It's easy to make with only four ingredients.
Can't get enough of Chinese Soups? Try my Watercress Soup next!
About Chinese Black Bean Soup
In China, Black Bean Soup is eaten all year round – it's great for keeping the body hydrated in the summer and combating the heat in the winter. Because of this, it's considered a neutral food, both warming and cooling.
It's super easy to make. You just need pork ribs, black beans, salt, and a couple of slices of ginger. The ribs bring a lot of sweetness and flavor, so you don't need too many other ingredients.
⏲️ Do I Need To Soak Black Beans?
For this recipe, no. Black beans are on the smaller side of beans, so they cook pretty quickly.
Some people like to soak them anywhere from an hour to overnight, but it only saves about 30 minutes of cooking time. Since we're cooking this soup for two hours, it doesn't make a difference.
🥫Can I Use Canned Black Beans?
Yes, canned black beans can be used. The texture is softer, but the taste is the same. Add them 5 minutes before the end of cooking since they're already cooked.
- Dried Black Beans: Black beans are packed with protein, fiber, and numerous vitamins and minerals. We'll need one cup for this recipe.
- Pork Ribs: Any style of pork ribs will do, like baby back ribs, St. Louis-style ribs, spare ribs, or country ribs. I recommend spare ribs because they have more cartilage, which gives the soup more body.
- Ginger: An essential flavor component for the soup.
- Salt: A small amount to enhance the flavors. You can also use chicken bouillon powder for an even heartier soup.
STEP 1: Blanch the pork ribs by filling a large stock pot with 8 cups of water and bringing it to a boil. Add the pork ribs, simmer for one minute, and drain the liquid.
STEP 2: Refill the stockpot with 8 cups of water, add black beans, ginger, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let the mixture simmer for 2 hours or until the meat and beans are soft.
STEP 3: Taste and season with extra salt if needed. Enjoy!
🥡 Storage & Leftovers
Storing: Store leftover black bean soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat leftovers by scooping and heating your portion in the microwave or on the stovetop.
🍽 Looking for more recipes?
Chinese Black Bean Soup
- 2 cups dried black beans (see notes)
- 1 ½ pounds pork ribs (any style of ribs)
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- Blanch the pork ribs by filling a large stock pot with 8 cups of water and bringing it to a boil. Add the pork ribs, simmer for one minute, and drain the liquid.
- Refill the stockpot with 8 cups of water, add black beans, ginger, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let the mixture simmer for 2 hours or until the meat and beans are soft.
- Taste and season with extra salt if needed. Enjoy!