Did you know you can eat the tops of carrots? They're just as edible as the carrots themselves! Try this easy 10-minute carrot greens recipe, featuring an earthy, garlicky, and subtly sweet stir-fry.
🥕 The Best Way To Eat Carrot Leaves
Carrot leaves have a mildly sweet, earthy flavor that tastes like a cross between carrots and parsley.
I've found that the best way to prepare them is in a simple stir-fry with minimal ingredients.
Just a quick toss with garlic, salt, and sugar helps preserve their natural flavors while bringing out their subtle nuances.
💡 Tips For Cooking With Carrot Greens
- Remove leaves immediately. To keep both the leaves and carrots fresh, store them separately. Cut off the greens, wrap them, and keep them in the fridge until you're ready to use them.
- Wash them thoroughly. Since carrots grow in dirt, make sure to clean the leaves well! Dry them with a kitchen towel or salad spinner before chopping them.
- Remove their tough stems. The carrot stems are tough and chewy, so we don't want them in our stir-fry.
- Carrot leaves/greens/tops
- Oil: Use a neutral-tasting oil like vegetable, canola, or avocado.
- Garlic: Freshly minced for the best flavor.
- Sugar: Just a touch helps bring out the carrot top's natural sweetness.
- Salt: Enhances the overall taste.
- Toasted Sesame oil: Adds a nutty aroma.
STEP 1: Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds until they smell delicious.
STEP 2: Add the carrot greens to the wok and increase the heat to high. Add sugar, sesame oil, and salt. Stir and mix thoroughly.
STEP 3: Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook for about 45 seconds to a minute. Uncover, stir the greens, then plate and serve immediately!
🥡 Storage & Leftovers
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Warm up leftovers in the microwave or stir-frying over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
🍽 Looking for more recipes?
Easy Carrot Greens Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch carrot leaves (washed and cut into 1 ½-inch long pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds until they smell delicious.
- Add the carrot greens to the wok and increase the heat to high. Add sugar, sesame oil, and salt. Stir and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook for about 45 seconds to a minute. Uncover, stir the greens, then plate and serve immediately!