PF Chang's Beef and Broccoli Recipe - Skip the restaurant version and make it at home in less than one hour! This copycat version is easy to make and tastes way better than takeout!
Can't get enough of PF Chang's? Try my Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts next!
🥡 About This Recipe
Juicy and tender beef with crunchy broccoli. I mean, who can resist? Whenever I stop at PF Chang's, I know I'm ordering a plate of this.
This copycat recipe is based on a leaked recipe from another well-known Chinese-American restaurant, but I've modified it so it's easier to make at home. But don't worry; we haven't sacrificed flavor, and it tastes just like PF Chang's
When searing the beef, make sure the wok is piping hot. This will ensure the beef cooks quickly and gets a nice flavor.
For the Beef and Marinade:
- Sliced Flank Steak: We'll need about one pound, cut into ¼-inch thick slices. I couldn't find flank steak, so I'm using beef chuck, which also works.
- Cornstarch: Forms a coating around the beef to keep it tender.
- Oil: Gives the coating a silkier texture.
- Salt And White Pepper: For seasoning the beef.
For the Sauce:
- Chicken Stock: I'm mixing 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder with water today. You can also just use plain water.
- Cornstarch: For thickening the sauce
- Dark Soy Sauce: Primarily for giving a deep dark color to the dish.
- Soy Sauce: Adds saltiness and umami.
- Brown Sugar: A little sugar is needed to balance the salty flavors. You can also use white sugar, but brown sugar will give a better flavor.
- Toasted Sesame Oil: Adds a nutty fragrance to the dish, but you can omit it.
- White Pepper: Freshly cracked for the best flavor.
For the Broccoli Stir-Fry:
- Broccoli Florets: These will need to be blanched before cooking. Mainly because broccoli takes forever to cook when stir-fried.
- Oil: Any neutral-flavored oil like canola or vegetable works.
- Garlic And Ginger: Freshly minced for the best flavor.
- Shaoxing Wine: This is a Chinese cooking wine. It adds a complex flavor to Chinese dishes. You can substitute it with Sherry wine as well.
- Green Onion: For garnishing. You can skip it if you don't have it.
STEP 1: In a medium bowl, combine beef, water, cornstarch, oil, salt, and white pepper. Massage the meat for 30 seconds, then transfer it to the fridge for 40 minutes to marinate.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, mix chicken stock, cornstarch, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and white pepper. Set aside.
STEP 3: Bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch the broccoli for 30 seconds until just tender, then drain the water.
STEP 4: Heat your wok over high heat until it's smoking, then add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the beef in a single layer and sear each side for 1 minute until golden brown. Remove the beef to a bowl.
STEP 5: Reduce the heat to medium and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the Shaoxing wine and let it sizzle for 15 seconds.
STEP 6: Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
STEP 7: Add the cooked beef and drained broccoli and stir until everything is coated. Garnish with green onions and serve over rice.
💭 Recipes Notes + Tips
- Flank Steak is the most popular cut of beef in Chinese restaurants, but you can also use sirloin steak or beef chuck. Ensure you cut against the grain to give the dish a more tender texture.
- I know I specified broccoli florets, but you can use the stalks as well. Slice them about ½ inch thick and cook them like the florets.
- Fresh ingredients are key for this recipe. Avoid using pre-minced garlic or ginger; they won't give you nearly as good of a flavor.
- A wok is the best pan for stir-frying because it heats quickly and imparts a smoky flavor to the food, but a stainless steel skillet also works.
- Feel free to add ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes to add some heat.
🥡 Storage & Leftovers
Storing: Store leftover PF Chang's Beef And Broccoli in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Reheat leftovers by microwaving or pan-frying in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
🍽 More Recipes You'll Love
PF Chang's Beef And Broccoli Recipe
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (divided)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or Sherry)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- In a medium bowl, combine beef marinade ingredients. Massage the meat for 30 seconds, then transfer it to the fridge for 40 minutes to marinate.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch the broccoli for 30 seconds until just tender; drain.
- Heat your wok over high heat until it's smoking, then add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the beef in a single layer and sear each side for 1 minute until golden brown. Remove the beef to a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the Shaoxing wine and let it sizzle for 15 seconds.
- Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked beef and broccoli and stir until everything is coated. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.